If you are new to advertising, learning which social media platforms to use for what kind of campaigns and choosing one that will work best for your campaign can be really overwhelming. As with everything that is new, you’ll learn most of it on the job, as you keep working more. However, to get started, I strongly recommend knowing the basics of each platform, to have a stronger grasp of the workings of social media advertising.
Today, social media alone can’t ensure you a successful campaign. Social media and Influencer marketing are like two sides of the same coin, who work together to create a long-running, successful advertising campaign.
When a brand decides to go for an influencer marketing campaign, it first needs to know its campaign’s objective and the duration of the campaign. It then needs to figure out which social media platforms to choose and on that basis it needs to choose the influencer. Research on which social media platform suits your influencer best is necessary. Also, it is always advisable to focus on at least 2 to 3 platforms that best suit your target market.
So which social media platforms to use for what kind of campaigns? Let us look into the demographics of each social media platform to understand better.
Sponsored posts and videos are a big hit on Instagram these days and are consumed more quickly by the audience when compared to other social media platforms. Thus, Instagram is most suitable for brands that are looking for a high audience engagement with a smaller budget.
Considering the growth of Instagram in the last year, don’t be surprised with the following details.
- Over 400 million global users check Instagram every day.
- Over 800 million users are active on Instagram every month.
- The 50 most followed Instagram influencers have a combined follower count of 5 billion
- 6 new Instagram updates were introduced this year, making it one of the coolest platforms for influencers.
- 7 out of 10 hashtags on Instagram are branded, creating awareness among the audience for the brand and its products/services.
- At present, advertisers spend over $1 billion annually for influencer marketing on Instagram alone.
- According to Instagram, 80% of its app users follow a business whereas 60% search for a product or service.
Who can use it?
Instagram is best for lifestyle, travel, fashion and beauty influencers and brands as the majority of its audience are women, starting at the age of 16 to 36+. This platform is considered beneficial for brands as well as for micro and macro influencers.
Video content and video marketing are the next big things that the world is experiencing. Sponsored content is extremely popular and successful on YouTube, as the user trusts the face shown in the video.
According to a survey conducted by OmnicoreAgency, millennials already prefer YouTube over traditional television. 37% of the coveted 18 – 34 demographic are binge-watching YouTube and 35+ and 55+ age groups are the fastest growing YouTube demographics.
Video content currently accounts for nearly three-quarters of internet traffic at present.
Don’t believe us? Take a look at a few stats below.
- Over 1 billion users log in to YouTube daily.
- Over 5 billion videos are watched per day on the platform.
- The total number of mobile YouTube views per day is 500 million.
- A total of 50 million users have created shareable content on YouTube, till date.
- A user watches an average of 40 minutes when logged on to YouTube. This number has been growing by 50%, year after year.
- 6%of the respondents in a survey said that they prefer using YouTube to engage with sponsored content.
Who can use it?
Any business or brand who feels that they can add value to their video content should opt for YouTube.
One of the best features of this platform is that it’s an excellent medium for brands to reach a huge, global audience and make their sponsored content noticed by all. Proving this statement is Facebook Analytics, who states that there are over 2.20 billion monthly active users globally. Taking advantage of Facebook’s large online community is the first step a brand should take towards creating a successful ad campaign.
Just have a look at the benefits of opting for this platform for your campaign.
- According to Facebook, as of March 2018, an average of 1.45 billion active users log on to Facebook daily. These users make for a potential promising audience for a brand.
- Facebook provides excellent analytical features that help you have a better understanding of how your content/campaign is performing.
- The recent changes in the Facebook algorithm seem like a hindrance for brand promotion and advertising.
Users can now see content from their personal connections first, over content from the brands they follow. Comments will be given the most priority and posts that have a higher engagement will be shown on the top of the newsfeed.
At such times, your brand influencers can help you reach your audience, with interactive posts, giving you an edge over your competitors.
- Facebook Live videos can be an asset to your campaign, driving for more engagement.
Who can use it?
Facebook is a great platform for any business or industry that has a media budget. For a successful Facebook advertisement campaign, check out our tips for better ROI.
Twitter, you can say, is an all-rounder. It covers every aspect of lifestyle, from international news and celebrity updates to basic and complex product information.
Here are some of the points that you should consider before choosing the platform for your influencer marketing campaign.
- Twitter has now increased its tweet text limit from 140 to 280 characters, which is beneficial for brands who want to reach out to their audience more clearly.
- With over 330 million monthly active users, this platform has a huge community that any brand can target to create awareness for their campaign.
- The greatest advantage of choosing Twitter for ad campaigns is that it involves conversations that are real time. This can help a brand campaign immensely, as the audience gets to know what is happening at present, around the world, instantly.
- Twitter makes it easier for you to reach people with a simple tweet that helps start a conversation with your audience.
Who can use it?
Twitter is considered to be a great communication platform that helps create engagement with your audience. As a result, it can be used by anyone who wants to create sponsored content.
Pinterest is usually ignored by many social media strategists while building a good advertising strategy. However, if you understand its potentiality and leverage it correctly, then it can drive great returns.
Check out its interesting facts before you plan your influencer marketing campaign around this platform:
- According to Pinterest, their total numbers of active monthly users are 175 million, globally.
- The total number of Pinterest pins is over 50 billion.
- 81% of Pinterest users are females, which is good news for most brands as the majority of the purchasing is done by them.
- 70% of Pinterest activity happens on its app, on the user’s mobile. Thus, you can also opt for mobile advertising through this platform, saving unnecessary costs.
Who can use it?
As Pinterest caters to an audience that is looking for visually appealing content online, brands related to the Food, Travel, Lifestyle, Wedding planning, Bridal grooming and Arts & Crafts industry can choose this platform for their campaign.
So are you using the right platform for your influencer marketing campaign? Do let us know your thoughts on the same.
Keep following GreenroomNow to stay up to date with the world of influencer marketing and social media.